Project Connect is being held on
Saturday, September 28th, 2013.
Information about the event and about volunteering can be found at: http://www.volunteerconnectnow.org/project-connect/
2013 Central Oregon Point in Time Count Results
On May 15, 2013 the Homeless Leadership Coalition released the data collected from the annual Point in Time Count (formerly The One Night Homeless Count), conducted Thursday, January 24, 2013. On this day, 2,198 individuals self-identified as persons experiencing homelessness within the tri-county region. Of those experiencing homelessness, 57% identified as being homeless for one year or more. The Point in Time Count provides a snapshot of Central Oregon’s homeless population in a 24-hour time frame. While it is not a comprehensive count, it provides valuable information to those serving the homeless, helps to educate the public about the issues of homelessness in our region, and helps direct public policy planning and development.
Download the Point in Time Data Recap
Download the official Press Release
About the Homeless Leadership Coalition
Central Oregon has long recognized the need for a more coordinated and informed response to homelessness and people living in poverty. Since the late 1990’s, The Central Oregon Homeless Leadership Coalition (HLC) has been tackling this challenging and often dynamic problem.
The HLC consists of more than 40 organizations and individuals from Deschutes, Crook and Jefferson Counties. They include the faith community, shelter providers, public schools, public health, emergency services, veterans outreach, public safety, mental health, housing services, public services private employers and others. They represent a diverse group of interests, unified by a common focus.
Mission: The Homeless Leadership Coalition is a collaboration of community partners in Crook, Jefferson, and Deschutes counties engaging the community through education, advocacy, planning, prioritization and accountability for services to persons experiencing homelessness.
Click here to review the HLC bylaws
Voting Membership: Voting membership in the HLC shall consist of one individual representing each of the following categories (Exception: 5 representatives for “At-Large” category). As of January 9, 2012, there are vacancies in four categories. If you are interested in filling one of the vacant positions, please review the bylaws, and contact Kenny LaPoint or Racheal Baker for more information.
Permanent Housing (1)
Emergency Services (e.g. food, utility, one time rent)(1)
Behavioral Health (1)
Business (1) VACANCY
The Homeless Leadership Coalition is responsible for the following projects:
- One Night Homeless Count: The HLC will make efforts through a working group to maintain a One Night Homeless Count, so long as the count continues to provide resources towards the mission of HLC.
- Ten-Year Plan to End Homelessness: The HLC and voting member working groups will work toward maintaining and pursuing the goals within the Ten-Year Plan to End Homelessness.
- Project Connect: The HLC and voting member working groups will support efforts to sustain Project Connect.
- Veterans Work Group: Planning and advocating housing and supportive services in Central Oregon.
- Housing Work Group: Completing a housing inventory and gaps analysis for all types of housing in Central Oregon.
- Drop-in Center Work Group: Investigating, advocating and planning for a homeless youth drop-in center in Bend.
- Financial Education for Youth Work Group: Supporting the efforts of "JumpStart" as a model for educating youth about budgeting.
- Discharge Planning for Elderly and Disabled Work Group: Developing protections for appropriate discharge of elderly and mentally ill clients from the emergency room.
Download the Oregon Housing and Community Services
Emergency Solutions Grant Operations Manual
Download the CoC Project Ranking Tool